Tuesday, March 31, 2009

To the person who commented about my "mistake" of putting J on Concerta

Anonymous-you are WHO? You know my family HOW? Let me guess you're one of those people that believe ADHD "doesn't exist" aren't you? Well, guess what-my son has done a complete 180, and his teacher is astounded at his sudden progress. Do you have any idea what it's like, and how hard it must have been, when a FIVE-YEAR-OLD child tells you he's so happy because his brain doesn't make him get in trouble anymore? I've never told him what Concerta is, I've only told him it will help him focus, yet here is a FIVE-year-old somehow recognizing that he had no control over what he was doing, and now realizing that he DOES have some control. He's gone from getting constant NEGATIVE attention from his teacher, and being very sad and upset about how "bad" of a kid he was, to getting a lot of POSITIVE attention and feeling good about himself because he's "doing good."

I published your comment but I wanted to make sure that you see this if you happen to float back this direction. If you're not in my family, dealing with my children, and my children's teachers, and my life, you have no idea what you're talking about and it flabberghasts me that you feel superior enough to go around on people's blogs telling them they're "making a mistake" in TREATING their children's medical issues. Those that know ME know that this is not about finding an excuse for poor behavior and that my children do not lack discipline. This is about something that needs to be addressed so that my child(ren) do not fall through the cracks and do poorly in school when they could do very well.

NOW, now that that is said:

Johnathan IS doing great at school! He's had only one day where he got an X at all (one X) since he began the Concerta. The teacher says he is doing amazingly well. Johnathan is so happy every day, and has been counting his days without Xes..but then he lost count somewhere around 20 in a row!

Johnathan did have the flu, though. He missed almost a full week of school. Had Influenza A. Luckily to this point, no one else has gotten it, except I now realize that the "strep throat and bronchitis" I supposedly had was probably the flu-considering the antibiotics didn't do jack.

ALSO, we went to VA to meet Kenn's daughters and mother and siblings. It went really well. I don't want to talk too much about it right now, but everyone seems to like me and the girls are looking forward to coming to KS this summer. Also, we've been invited to go to the family's beach house in Nags Head, NC this summer for a week. That is awesome and will be lots of fun!

That's all my updates for now.

1 comment:

EmberRose said...

While I think ADHD IS somewhat over diagnosed, I think it's wonderful that it's helped your son. If anything I feel bad for the kids who have it like your son and aren't taken seriously.