Christopher has been officially diagnosed with ADHD. They are putting him on Concerta. I'm very unsure about all of this. Sometimes he can seem so calm, but most of the time, he can't focus, he's unsure of himself, has poor self-esteem, interrupts constantly, talks all the time, doesn't seem to understand waiting his turn, is intrusive at school. Parent-teacher conferences sucked. His teacher basically didn't have anything good to say about him. She did say he's very smart, and has an extensive vocabulary and so much good stuff to say, but he's inappropriate in when and how he says it, he interrupts class, and his desk is pushed against the teacher's desk away from the other kids. He does better in the small intervention group (a small group more closely matched to the skill set of the kids in there), and he's in the highest intervention group. But, yet, it took him 2 days to do a 20-minute writing assignment. He was supposed to write three sentences about what he wanted to be when he grew up. It took him two days to write, "I want to be a wrestler." He can't concentrate on anything. He gets frustrated easily, he gives up. He is distracted by everything.
I guess it's a good step, but I'm just so scared of what it's going to do to my spirited little guy. I don't want him lethargic. Concerta is also a stimulant, so I'm worried about bedtime battles.
anyway, thought I'd let y'all know what's going on there. I'm sad. :(
No comments:
Post a Comment